The prelims saw around 20 teams with 8 making it to the stage. Kaushik asked some great questions most of which were answered. The level of knowledge of all the teams was extra-ordinary. The theme was also well thought out but it would have been very difficult to answer if asked a few months later. Gaurav's team won the quiz with me,Boss & Sarba finishing 2nd. And it was no surprise seeing Sid, who had been finishing 3rd in every quiz since last year, finish 3rd again with Panda & Gairik.
After a couple of hours it was time for the General Quiz conducted by an IIM-C student. The quiz was alright with some nice questions but it was a trifle too long & it had 3 written themes which were quite tedious. Teams from IIM finished 1st & 2nd with us tying for 3rd with Panda, Rahul & Prashnik.
Here are some of the questions i found interesting :
Q What was a schoolteacher called Humberto Munoz Castre's "Contribution" to football ?
He killed Escobar
Q Which team has the record of the biggest win, 6-0, in a FA cup final ?
- Greenland (an autonomous region of Denmark, and under the control of the Football Association of Greenland)
- Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (an unrecognized state, under the control of Cyprus Turkish Football Federation)
- Zanzibar (historically a part of Tanzania, but with membership of CAF)
- Gibraltar (The Gibraltar Football Association has applied to UEFA for provisional membership. Yet Spain has blocked the application)
- Tibet (an autonomous region of China)
- The Republic of St. Pauli (representing the St Pauli area of Hamburg, the host city)
Q Connect Saeed Owairan with Gheorge Hagi.
Maradona. Owairan was called Maradona of the Arabs & Hagi Maradona of the Carpathians.
Q After WW2 the Deutsche Schaferhund was renamed as what because of anti-German sentiments prevailing at the time ?
Q Which is the 1st mass produced electric vehicle with dimensions of 6 feet by 8 feet ?
The golf cart
Q What sobriquet was coined by Jyoti Prasad an Assamese journalist during the time of the Bangladesh war of 1972 ?
Q Why was this movie poster withdrawn in December 2009 ?
After the death of Brittany Murphy